Dr. Craig Reese, DC. PC.
3000 Center Green Dr., Suite 230
Boulder, CO 80301
303-447-1300


CHEMICAL POISONING

Each year our bodies are exposed to tens of thousands of chemicals in the environment. They come in our food, our water. We are exposed to them from new products we bring into the home, as well as paints, glues, solvents, sprays, lawn treatments, vaccinations, drugs, alcohol, and, of course, air pollution. We are under a chemical attack unlike any other time in man's history. The amazing thing is how well our bodies process this chemical warfare and that we aren't all sick. Most of these chemicals are broken down by the liver and excreted through the bowel. Some are stored in the fat cells of our body or removed by sweating and respiration. If the bowels and/or liver are not functioning properly, then the body excretes less of the toxins and stores more of it in our fat cells. Hence we get more and more toxic as time goes on. That is why the same Comet and Formula 409 that you've been using for years now give you a headache when you clean with them. They are both toxic and will eventually poison you.

Familiarity Breeds Complacency

People tell me all the time that it can't be their cleaners that is making them sick because they have been using them for years. That's like saying cigarettes can't cause my lung cancer because I've been smoking them for years. It took 30-40 years of smoking to create that disease connection. There is now more evidence everyday that environmental chemicals are making us sick. None of us would drink Mr. Clean or Windex because we know it would poison us. Yet people use these products everyday without protective gloves on. The skin is the largest organ of the body, and it absorbs these chemicals into the body. When we clean, we are really drinking in these chemicals through our skin.

Breathing sprays present another problem area. That lemon-fresh Pledge just polished your lungs as well as the coffee table. Spray paints, bug sprays, that new car smell, gas fumes and paint fumes all have a bad effect on your lungs. We worry about second-hand cigarette smoke, but what about second-hand chemicals from cleaners, disinfectants, perfumes, paints and added fragrances in everyday products? This picture shows the connection between what we breathe and problems in our body:

 

The effects from contaminated air can range from a mild irritation of the nose or lungs to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome. The latter are the people who can't go anywhere or be exposed to the "normal" chemicals of daily life without it nearly killing them. I once saw on 60 Minutes a story about a whole town in Texas that was designed for people who were chemically sensitive. They literally had to live in a protective bubble to keep from being wiped out by the chemicals out-gassing from a newspaper or junk mail. You might think they are just crazy, but toxic chemicals and metals cause crazy too! For example, anxiety, anorexia, mental depression, hallucinations and memory loss are just a few of the symptoms related to mercury poisoning. Sources of mercury in our environment are paints, batteries, drugs, vaccinations, cosmetics, hair dyes, dental amalgams, contaminated fish and petroleum products. (Also see Heavy Metal Sources.)

There are thousands of new chemicals put into the environment every year that have unknown effects on humans. Research has shown that chemical poisoning causes your body to be 10-100 times more susceptible to infections. This includes systemic yeast infections, colds, flus, and respiratory infections. Chronic chemical exposure has also been linked to certain cancers. Its precise role in many other illnesses is still being researched.

Understand that I'm not Chicken Little running around saying "the sky is falling," but this is a real problem for many people. Once your levels of chemical toxins become high enough in your body, then you, too, will start to exhibit weird symptoms. Taking a good multivitamin and extra minerals help you to purge these toxins from your body. Regular bowel movements, exercise, sweating, drinking clean water and eating lots of vegetables will also help with dumping chemicals/metals from your body. These are simple things we should be doing everyday, anyway. If you are breathing toxic air at home or at work, then purify the air with an ozonator or ion generator. We have information in the office on air and water purifiers if you don't know where you can find them. We don't sell them, but we do recommend their use to clean up your environment.

Over-the-counter drugs

Many people take over-the-counter drugs and pain-relievers at the first sign of a cold. These remedies all have negative effects on your body. They are far from "harmless." For instance, aspirin makes your stomach bleed every time you take it. In fact all the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Tylenol, Motrin, etc.) are hard on your stomach, liver and kidneys. People who drink a little alcohol daily and then take the recommended dosage of Tylenol are in grave danger of killing their liver. A man named Antonio Benedi had to have an emergency liver transplant from taking two tablets every 4 hours one weekend for the flu. He had a habit of drinking two or three glasses of wine with dinner most nights. He didn't drink while he took the Tylenol, but his liver failed nonetheless several days later. He won a lawsuit against the McNeil Company that makes Tylenol and used the money to take out full-page ads in major newspapers to warn others. It came out in the trial that the McNeil Company had known for 10 years of this danger but had suppressed the information. Instead they advertised that Tylenol was the safest type of pain reliever you can buy.

Research has also shown that permanent kidney damage can be caused by as little as a 1000 doses of Acetaminophen in a lifetime! (Perneger, T. V., Whelton P. K., & Klag M.J. (1994). Risk of kidney failure associated with the use of acetaminophen, aspirin, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. N. Engl. J. Med., 331(25): 1675). None of this vital information seems to get out to the public even though we should be warned about these products. They are not harmless little pills that can be taken like candy.

People dealing with chronic pain and arthritis are usually the ones who abuse these drugs. Research in Germany has shown that pain from all forms of arthritis respond well to taking systemic oral enzymes on an empty stomach. Headaches are caused by a number of different factors that can be sorted out and alleviated. They are not caused by an aspirin or acetaminophen deficiency! In fact if you get in the habit of taking too many pain relievers for your headache, you will develop "analgesic rebound syndrome." That is the phenomena of getting a headache every time you don't take the drug. It is difficult and painful to treat if you let your headaches get that far out of hand. Excedrin is one of the worst products for causing analgesic rebound, so be careful if you use it! The real solution is to get to the cause of the problem and fix it.

Headaches of any kind are not normal and are caused by something that usually can be fixed with natural treatments. Even self-induced, "morning-after-the-party" headaches are caused by dehydration and liver toxicity. Consuming lots of water and minerals before you drink alcohol and then drinking lots of water after you drink alcohol can prevent them. You may have to stumble out of bed a lot during the night to go to the bathroom, but you'll feel much better in the morning! Besides dehydration, headaches can be caused by hormone imbalances, misaligned spinal vertebrae, myofascial trigger points in the neck and upper back, jaw joint misalignment (TMJ), allergies, sinus infections, viral and/or bacterial infections, food sensitivities, etc. All of these problems have a drug free solution that won't destroy your liver, kidneys or stomach. We can help you figure out the cause of the problem and then alleviate it instead of covering it up with non-prescription drugs.

Return to Info Letters page
Home